Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > Le Bistro
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Le Bistro Off-topic discussion among members

Old March 26th, 2012

Default Re: Famous Peoples Religious Quotes

Some other famous quotes, now on the -Catholic Church- Part 2.

-------------
The Catholic Church worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One doesn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. Who discovered that there was no such thing as a witch - the priest, the parson? No, these never discover anything..." -Mark Twain

I read in the newspaper that the Catholic Church finally decided that it had been theologically improper to try to convert the Jews. Whoops! Sorry for all those inquisitions, crusades, and autos-da-fe. Previous popes were wrong - infallible, perhaps, but wrong. -Alan Dershowitz

The consequences of the popes' ill-conceived dictates [about contraception] are as catastrophic as the persecution of heretics in bygone years. The result will be, in effect, to sentence millions to face starvation and hundreds of millions more to a marginal, subhuman existence. -Joseph Daleiden

Ironically, the pope's opposition to contraceptives results in hundreds of thousands of abortions, most in illegal and unsafe conditions that threaten women's lives. Due primarily to the lack of readily available contraception, 55 million abortions are performed in the world annually. Worldwide, 182,000 women die each year from dangerous abortions. In the United States, where... Women's right to abortion has been recognized since 1973 (over the Church's strenuous opposition), the death rate for women who obtain abortions has dropped almost 90%. So by opposing contraceptives and legalized abortion, the pope is in effect sentencing many women to die. -Joseph Daleiden

That church teaches us that we can make God happy by being miserable ourselves; that a nun is holier in the sight of God than a loving mother with her child in her thrilled and thrilling arms; that a priest is better than a father; that celibacy is better than that passion of love that has made everything of beauty in this world. That church tells the girl of sixteen or eighteen years of age, with eyes like dew and light; that girl with the red of health in the white of her beautiful cheeks - tells that girl, 'Put on the veil, woven of death and night, kneel upon stones, and you will please God.' I tell you that, by law, no girl should be allowed to take the veil and renounce the joys and beauties of this life. -Robert Ingersoll

Catholicism is contrary to human liberty. Catholicism bases salvation upon belief. Catholicism teaches man to trample his reason under foot. And for that reason it is wrong. -Robert Ingersoll

-------------

Regards.
Old March 28th, 2012

Some other famous quotes, now on -Protestantism-.

The same BS repeated over and over with different church names.

-------------
... I fail to find a trace [in Protestantism] of any desire to set reason free. The most that can be discovered is a proposal to change masters. From being a slave of the papacy, the intellect was to become the serf of the Bible. -Thomas H. Huxley

The Catholics have a pope. Protestants laugh at them, and yet the pope is capable of intellectual advancement. In addition to this, the pope is mortal, and the church cannot be afflicted with the same idiot forever. The Protestants have a book for a pope. The book cannot advance. Year after year, and century after century, the book remains as ignorant as ever. -Robert Ingersoll

At a conservative estimate, ten million witches were killed throughout Europe... The decline of witch-belief was... Entirely the product of religious scepticism... The Catholic Church did not reform itself on this matter; it was forced by outside pressure to reform. To be sure, the Protestant churches were no better in this regard; it is simply that they had less time - only two or three centuries - to engage in the torching of witches. After all, John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, stated quite correctly that disbelief in witches meant a disbelief in the Bible. -S. T. Joshi

In proportion to its power, Protestantism has been as persecuting as Catholicism. -William E. H. Lecky

The Catholic Church is a thousand times better than your Protestant Church upon that question [of damnation]. The Catholic Church believes in purgatory - that is, a place where a fellow can get a chance to make a motion for a new trial. -Robert Ingersoll

-------------

Regards.
Old March 29th, 2012

Some other famous quotes, now on -Agnosticism- Part 1.

I don't think it's about whether to -believe blindly- in something or to -see to believe- as simple as that. No. I believe humans must be more spiritual and connect with their inner feelings and soul and universe so that the mind can become conscious of a different form of energy that can illuminate their knowledge of what surrounds them.

But, for religious and agnostic people, there are so many distractors in this physical reality, that is virtually forgotten to take some time to give spiritual conscious a chance in order to achieve a different kind of enlightment.

-------------
As to the gods, I have no means of knowing either that they exist or do not exist. -Protagoras

How should I know anything about another world when I know so little of this? -Confucius

Agnosticism simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that for which he has no grounds for professing to believe. -Thomas H. Huxley

As a matter of fact, no one knows that God exists and no one knows that God does not exist. To my mind there is no evidence that God exists - that this world is governed by a being of infinite goodness, wisdom and power, but I do not pretend to know. -Robert Ingersoll

-------------

Regards.
Old April 2nd, 2012

Some other famous quotes, now on -Agnosticism- Part 2.

-------------
The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic. -Charles Darwin

There is no difference. The Agnostic is an Atheist. The Atheist is an Agnostic. The Agnostic says: 'I do not know, but I do not believe there is any God.' The Atheist says the same. -Robert Ingersoll

Where is the soul?... I refuse to believe anything of that kind without proof. The idea that, as soon as a man's breath leaves his body, the soul flops out like a chicken's head and flies off into space to find a lodgement where there [are] harps and haloes. Too much for me. -Robert Ingersoll

[From a newspaper account of a conversation between Ingersoll and a Spiritualist who accosted him after a speech.]

[An Agnostic's Prayer:] "O Lord - if there is a Lord; save my soul - if I have a soul. Amen" -Ernest Renan

-------------

Regards.
Old April 12th, 2012

Some other famous quotes, now on -Atheism- Part 1.

Thank God I'm an -Atheist-, hehehe...

-------------
The religion that is afraid of science dishonours God and commits suicide... Every influx of atheism, of scepticism, is thus made useful as a mercury pill assaulting and removing a diseased religion, and making way for truth. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The atheist is a man who destroys the chimeras which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason. -Baron d’Holbach

To date, despite the efforts of millions of true believers to support this myth, there is no more evidence for the Judeo-Christian god than any of the gods on Mount Olympus. -Joseph Daleiden

I'm an atheist and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for other people. -Katharine Hepburn

-------------

Regards.
Old April 16th, 2012

Some other famous quotes, now on -Atheism- Part 2.

-------------
Religious believers of the world, you are free to continue to debate the simple, narrow question that divides you from atheists, but you have no right, in so doing, to treat the Humanists of the world with contempt. You owe them a deep debt of gratitude, for not only have they shed much light on a naturally dark world but they have very probably helped civilize your own specific religion. -Steve Allen

The great god Ra, whose shrine once covered acres, is filler now for crossword puzzle makers. -Keith Preston

From an ancient Roman tombstone:

"Do not pass by my epitaph, traveller.
But having stopped, listen and learn, then go your way.
There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,
no caretaker Aiakos, no dog Cerberus.
All we who are dead below
have become bones and ashes, but nothing else.
I have spoken to you honestly, go on, traveller,
lest even while dead I seem loquacious to you."

-------------

Regards.
Old May 9th, 2012
Administrator

Adam Savage of the Myth Busters tv show gave this speech at the recent Reason Rally in DC.

http://memexplex.com/Meme/1841/

...Here are some other things that, like the components of the airplane, have been tested and proven. I'm going to call them facts:
•E equals mc-fucking-squared.
•Force equals mass times acceleration.
•The Earth is not the center of the Universe.
•Man landed on the Moon in 1969 and a few times thereafter.
•Burning airplane fuel caused a tragic catastrophic collapse of the Twin Towers in 2001.
•The Earth is spherical. Not precisely round, it is officially slightly pear-shaped.
•Human industry is causing a significant rise in the Earth's overall temperature.
•The Earth is over four-billion years old.
•Evolution is literally a fact of life.
•As Niel deGrasse Tyson says, "Facts are true whether or not you believe them.

Now, here are some of my beliefs that are true to me:
•You cannot teach kids about sex by telling them not to have it.
•I believe that making drugs illegal is stupid and damaging to us as a people.
•I believe that if we take care of our surroundings they will take care of us.
•I believe that inside every tool is a hammer.
•I believe that people have an inalienable right to choose what to do with their own bodies.
•I believe that in a community it is our duty that we should take care of each other in times of need.
•I believe that if you tell people the truth and let them make decisions based on that, much of the time they'll make pretty good decisions but not always.
•I believe that which is detestable to you, you should not do to another.
•I believe that, while not all people are essentially good, most are trying.
•I believe that rules do not make us moral, loving each other makes us moral.

And finally, I have concluded through careful, empirical analysis and much thought that somebody is looking out for me, keeping track of what I think about things, forgiving me when I do less than I ought, giving me strength to shoot for more than I think I'm capable of. I believe they know everything that I do and think and they still love me and I've concluded after careful consideration that this person keeping score is me."