Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > INTACTIVISM > General Intactivism Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 28th, 2012

Default We need to know why it happened in the U.S.

Why is the U.S. the only Western country routinely (56%) performing circumcision on newborn baby boys for non-religious reasons?

Don't we need to have an answer to this question before we can effectively fight RIC?

Without a definitive answer to this question, aren't we just spinning our wheels as intactivists?

Most of us will reflexively answer "Greedy doctors" without giving it a second thought. And how often do we hear "'Cause he's the one who holds the knife". But it's not really that simple, is it?

What is there about the U.S. that creates the "Perfect Storm" for the ritualized mutilation of baby boys?
Old March 28th, 2012

Default Re: We need to know why it happened in the U.S.

My thoughts exactly. And why do Americans cling so tightly to the practice? Even in the face of medical facts?
Old March 29th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
Why is the U.S. the only Western country routinely (56%) performing circumcision on newborn baby boys for non-religious reasons?

Don't we need to have an answer to this question before we can effectively fight RIC?

Without a definitive answer to this question, aren't we just spinning our wheels as intactivists?

Most of us will reflexively answer "Greedy doctors" without giving it a second thought. And how often do we hear "'Cause he's the one who holds the knife". But it's not really that simple, is it?

What is there about the U.S. that creates the "Perfect Storm" for the ritualized mutilation of baby boys?
I can't holistically answer, but I'll try to stab at a few factors.

1) Cultural Indoctrination--people have been culturally conditioned to believe that the foreskin is bad or inherently problematic, because this soothes the circumcised males' egos. We are told "do it now before he can remember" because a part of people are so indoctrinated that the think that foreskin problems are inevitable, and that circumcision is the best solution.

2) American Neo-Barroque Mentalities: I don't speak of religion or culture, but of human thought. People have become very, very close minded about things, and in lieu of a cultural censorship, I feel we are going through a mental one. People will so easily believe what they are told, and will go without thinking about it or questioning it.

3) To make fathers and mothers feel better about either being circumcised themselves, or having family members (in the case of the mother) that are circumcised, and not wanting to consider what was done mutilatory. We have a high abundance of altered men walking around with egos to defend.

4) The American "Rights" Frenzy: we here in this country are all about our rights. The thing is, sadly, circumcision is somehow considered a parental right, instead of a human rights violation of the child. People can defend circumcision by claiming that to prohibit it would be a "Violation of Parental Rights."

Anyone else have things to add? Perhaps this thread should continue to accumulate factors that need to be fought?

There is NO GOOD EXCUSE for genital abuse.
Old March 29th, 2012

Lack of universal healthcare. When hospitals are a business, eliminating unnecessary procedures is not a priority, the bottom line is. If there's a demand for circumcision and it's socially acceptable, then why stop doing it? Doctors and hospital administrators are not ethical philosophers, they just take their cues from society like most people do. So it puts all the onus on the culture to change the attitudes about it, rather than the medical community to stop pushing/offering it. Hospital policy and the number of studies looking into the medical benefits of circumcision, is a result of the medical community reflecting the culture rather than the culture reflecting the medical community. You put it on the culture, and it's going drag its feet, because we're talking about a large group of individuals that have a ton of incentive to not see circumcision as a bad thing. You're not going to get big sudden changes that way, you're going to get very slow gradual change, if any.
Old March 29th, 2012
Veteran Restorer Back to Finish the Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
Lack of universal healthcare.
100% Right! That's what I was just explaining to a friend! Universal Healthcare ended R.I.C. in Western Europe, specifically Brittain.
Just one more reason why I support Single Payer Universal Healthcare
Old March 29th, 2012

i think its because. over the past 50 or so years. the average intelligence of Americans has gone down. most people here dont bother researching anything unless they are forced to.
Old March 29th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-B-Angry View Post
100% Right! That's what I was just explaining to a friend! Universal Healthcare ended R.I.C. in Western Europe, specifically Brittain.
I wonder if universal healthcare would change much at this point. With all the desperate attempts to medically justify the practice in recent decades (which includes the attempt to circumcise an entire continent,) we may have our feet too dug in at this point for universal healthcare to make that big of a difference.
Old March 29th, 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutitout27 View Post
My thoughts exactly. And why do Americans cling so tightly to the practice? Even in the face of medical facts?
It's a problem when these facts are either manipulated or ignored by persons of influence.
Old March 29th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-B-Angry View Post
i don't think universal healthcare would help our cause. circumcision was never about the medical effects. the recent "medical effects" are just glitter on the issue.
Old March 29th, 2012

In one article I read on the history of medical MGM in the USA, the writer stated that while the medical community on the Continent did not adapt it, that in America, there was opposition among US doctors, but they were unsuccessful in stopping it, because they did not understand the motives of the advocates of male cutting.

Unforunately, that author did not state exactly what those motives of the cutters were, and how the opposition could have been successful, if they had understood those motives, and whether their opposition could have still been successful.

I think a lot of motivation for cutting comes from an urge by parents to dominate their sons, and treat them as pieces of property instead of people.