Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > METHODS > - Surgical Reconstruction and Regenerative Medicine
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 19th, 2012

Thumbs up Epistem.co.uk can create foreskin

Message I received from Epistem.co.uk

"Thank you for your recent email regarding skin regeneration. I passed your question to my technical colleagues and they feel it may be possible to grow foreskin. We culture 3 D human living skin equivalents to model normal, healthy skin. However, not all the components of human skin are present though (sweat glands, etc) and it isnít clear how easy it would be to incorporate that functionality. In the case of damaged foreskin, active desquamation may also be needed. It may be possible to add the enzymes required for desquamation to the skin construct, during culture..."

If Foregen, should focus on companies like epistem, that have the infrastructure to create skin and already clearly know the limitations. It isn't impossible to add adnexa glands (sweat glands, etc.), it simply isn't easy or hasn't been tested for foreskin and isn't easy to say.

Foregen should fund projects within Epistem that create foreskin with the full components of muscle tissue and adnexa glands. epistem.co.uk/contactus.asp
Old September 22nd, 2012

Default Re: Epistem.co.uk can create foreskin

bumping this thread.
Old September 22nd, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Message I received from Epistem.co.uk

"Thank you for your recent email regarding skin regeneration. I passed your question to my technical colleagues and they feel it may be possible to grow foreskin. We culture 3 D human living skin equivalents to model normal, healthy skin. However, not all the components of human skin are present though (sweat glands, etc) and it isn’t clear how easy it would be to incorporate that functionality. In the case of damaged foreskin, active desquamation may also be needed. It may be possible to add the enzymes required for desquamation to the skin construct, during culture..."

If Foregen, should focus on companies like epistem, that have the infrastructure to create skin and already clearly know the limitations. It isn't impossible to add adnexa glands (sweat glands, etc.), it simply isn't easy or hasn't been tested for foreskin and isn't easy to say.

Foregen should fund projects within Epistem that create foreskin with the full components of muscle tissue and adnexa glands. epistem.co.uk/contactus.asp
Yes! See? Okay, this is what I'm talking about, finally — some lead at least — it's better than nothing! I wrote out a whole freakin’ novella (practically) in response to this last night, but it got deleted accidentally before I could post. Let me just try to sum up what I was going to say: I see this as a very positive development. Although, I am wondering about the regeneration of nerve and mucosa tissue, which were not mentioned in there with the sweat glands and etc. (possibly they aren't that in-depth knowledgeable about the minutiae of preputial anatomy?). I hope someone will inform Foregen director Enzo (newforeskin, on here, though I'm not sure if he still comes on very often) about this, and hope that they will try to pursue this angle. If Foregen is truly going to be a successful advocate group to promote the interests of victims of non-consensual routine infant male genital mutilation, it's going to be an uphill battle, and they can afford to leave no stone unturned!

You can make foreskin regeneration possible, support foregen.
Old September 22nd, 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAForeskinTransplant View Post
I wrote out a whole freakin’ novella (practically) in response to this last night, but it got deleted accidentally before I could post.
In most browsers, this text editting window has an undo feature. Hit Ctrl-Z if you accidentally delete something.

If you're typing a long time and your forum session expires so you get a notice that you're not logged in when you hit submit, just enter your ID and password and it WILL post what you wrote.

If this deleting happens often, get in the habit of editing your thoughts in MS-Word or Notepad and then copying them to the forum.
Old September 23rd, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
In most browsers, this text editting window has an undo feature. Hit Ctrl-Z if you accidentally delete something.

If you're typing a long time and your forum session expires so you get a notice that you're not logged in when you hit submit, just enter your ID and password and it WILL post what you wrote.

If this deleting happens often, get in the habit of editing your thoughts in MS-Word or Notepad and then copying them to the forum.
Thank you for the tips, Ron! I appreciate it, I'll definitely do that next time. What is your opinion about this new development?

Old September 23rd, 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAForeskinTransplant View Post
What is your opinion about this new development?
It sounds like transplantation of lab-grown skin that was cultured from your own DNA. So no risks of immune system rejection, but all the same surgical risks of infection, numbness, scaring, etc.
Old September 24th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distalero View Post
Can anyone yet create the specialized formation of normal human epidermis, underlying dermis, assorted organs including blood supply, a layer of smooth muscle (dartos sheath) and a layer of squamous epithelium, ie a mucosal inner layer, and is there any sort of technique yet devised to implant, or somehow attach, this formation to a living penis? The answer is, not yet, of course, it's way too advanced even for practical discussion.
What makes you say that? Are you trying to say that what Foregen is trying to do is “way too advanced even for practical discussion”? I certainly hope you're not right about that! One day, I get my hopes up; the next, they get completely dashed down again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
It sounds like transplantation of lab-grown skin that was cultured from your own DNA. So no risks of immune system rejection, but all the same surgical risks of infection, numbness, scaring, etc.
Hmm, okay, thank you very much for your input, Ron! I have always really respected you and all that you do for our cause! I hope that those risks you mentioned can be mitigated or obviated somehow…

Old September 24th, 2012

I have something even more good news for you guys

They sent me this response to a second email:

Epistem.co.uk is "a contract service organization so we would need to receive the funding beforehand to engage in any work. We perform in vitro skin culture studies for our pharma and biotech clients and these studies tend to cost in the region of £10,000+ for a single in vitro culture study; studies to develop a new model are likely to cost a lot more. We would then need to factor in the cost of repeat studies."

£10,000+ is US$16,202+

I really believe this is a good option. The organization is very transparent and open with what tools they have and would need, etc. Again they HAVE the researcher, they HAVE the infrastructure (reagents, equipment, etc.), they HAVE the credentials and reputation with the medical community. There is no start-up cost.

The fact that Foregen hasn't even looked into this puts some doubt in my mind about them. Not that they're thieves, etc., but they are bad at information research, networking, leaving every stone unturned, etc.
Old September 24th, 2012

I agree Distalero

Epistem.co.uk hasn't done it yet as they have not been contracted to yet. However they still state it is possible and that with atleast $17,000 US they can get started. I'm sure this is how alot of projects get started. Plus lets say someone who restored wants to incorporate adnexa glands into their expanded skin, etc. This procedure would help in that. I'm not even being optimistic. This is very realistic, and the money they are asking is very reasonable.

And I'm thinking beyond Foregen. I don't have alot of experience with this type of stuff, but I think it would make more sense for people to donate money directly to Epistem independently and they directly fund the in vitro experiment. I have lost a great deal of faith in Foregen at the moment. It took me only 6 days to find this company and when I emailed foregen they didn't know anything about this. Nor did they have a plan.
Old September 25th, 2012

Unhappy Re: Epistem.co.uk can create foreskin

I agree. As much as I love the idea of Foregen, it seems like there isn't as much work being put into it as there could be. :/